NZSki, in partnership with the KCT, is working to bring back kea to the 3 Peaks – The Remarkables, Coronet Peak and Mt Hutt and to increase awareness of the threats to the world’s only mountain parrot.
Once regular visitors to all three ski fields, kea have now dwindled at all three sites with no kea at Coronet Peak and Mt Hutt and 4 kea at the Remarkables this past ski season (2018). In an effort to protect these remnant visitors and to find out what is impacting them, NZSki is committing significant funds and resources for the next 5 years to address the issues facing the local kea population and to raise awareness nationwide through our schools.
This is an exciting, long-term partnership which will be a major boost to kea in both the Wakatipu and Canterbury areas and will provide a fantastic opportunity for communities to get involved in kea conservation!
- Lead testing and treatment (if required) of kea at the Remarkables Ski area
- Lead testing and treatment of kea at Mt Hutt
- Local population monitoring
Environment Enrichment and Protection
- Laying and maintaining trapping lines
- Native planting and revegetation
- Donation collections during Conservation Week
- Point of sale option to donate
- Creating awareness for fundraising through marketing assistance
Education and Advocacy
- Signage panels at the Remarkables
- Develop school resources in partnership with Enviro Schools