The 92,500-member New Zealand Motor Caravan Association (NZMCA) has joined forces with KiwiRail, the Department of Conservation (DOC) and the Kea Conservation Trust (KCT) in an innovative project to help save the country’s seriously endangered kea population.
The initiative involves KiwiRail leasing unused land to the NZMCA to develop as member parking sites with the net revenue ( at least $225,000 over the nine year period), being directed to the KCT operations and its projects for kea.
This long-term commitment by NZMCA and Kiwirail is a massive boost for kea and we look forward to sharing details of this work on this page as they happen.
$15,000 towards supporting our Field Coordinator roles. Operational support is hard to come by, yet these roles are vital for the smooth running of our field projects and includes organising the following:
- ordering and maintaining all field equipment (transmitters, cameras, tracking gear, PPE and catch equipment)
- ensuring all Health and Safety requirements are met
- organising follow up tracking flights for monitoring kea survivorship and breeding outcomes
- organising field teams for each project
- reporting on field work outcomes
- successional training of field personnel
- liaising with local DOC offices and stakeholders
$10,000 towards the Matukituki Threats Mitigation Project.